Sonwik

Marina near Flensburg (Sonwik)

Last edited 22.07.2021 at 12:05 by NV Charts Team

Latitude

54° 48’ 37.1” N

Longitude

9° 27’ 9.4” E

Description

Modern marina with sailmaking and service facilities (approx. 360 berths) in the former Mürwik naval base, located on the eastern shore of the Flensburg Inner Fjord.

NV Cruising Guide

Navigation

The approach to the marina is unproblematic and lit by day and night. Coming from the north, you sail to fairway buoy 15 and from there steer a south-easterly course directly to the harbour entrance.

Berths

For guest berths are usually available on free places. The water depth in the entire harbour area is over 5m. The berths are assigned by the harbour master.

Surroundings

Despite the urban-looking environment, this marina offers very quiet berths. All facilities for utilities are available. Electricity, water and  are available at the jetty. A boat refuelling station, a 3t crane and a bistro can be found at the harbour master's office. Maritime service companies (sailmaker, yacht service) and various restaurants offer the water sports enthusiast a good choice. Shopping facilities are available in the nearby district of Mürwik or in Flensburg city centre. A bus line can be found about 200m east of the harbour. A harbour ferry takes visitors into the city by water.

The naval buildings, some of which date back to the imperial era, are now listed and used as office and commercial space or condominiums. On the outer piers of the harbour are modern water houses, some of which include private boat moorings (please do not moor here).

NV Land Guide

Shipping and trade made Flensburg famous in the early Middle Ages. The conditions for this were still very modest around 1200: A mooring bridge and a small marketplace laid out by merchants of the Danish St. Knuds Guild formed the beginning. In 1284, the Danish Duke Waldemar IV confirmed the town charter to the people of Flensburg. Only four centuries later, Flensburg was the richest and - as contemporary accounts show - also the most distinguished town in the Duchy of Schleswig. The favourable geographical location enabled a variety of trade relations with the Scandinavian countries and with the German Hanseatic cities. Flensburg became the gateway to the North in economic and cultural terms.

A city model on the ground floor of the Flensburg Shipping Museum at Schiffbrücke 39 shows what the Schleswigian trading metropolis looked like in its heyday around 1600. 200 (!) ships and 6000 inhabitants counted the city at the fjord of the same name in these days.

The visit of the shipping museum, a former customs packing house, should not be missed. Extensive information is provided about trade and shipbuilding in the heyday of sailors, as well as the development into a port city. Whaling, the West India voyage and rum production are just some of the topics covered in the exhibition. Flensburg rum was not only popular among sailors. At the beginning of the 19th century, the by-product of raw sugar from the Danish colonies became an important economic factor in the fjord town. Around half a million litres are said to have come to Flensburg as original spirits in the first ten years of the last century alone. Other exhibits include ship models, old photographs and nautical charts from the early days of sailing. The fact that the map by Lucas Jancz Waghenaer is a nautical chart of the Baltic Sea from 1585 is difficult to recognize at first glance. This is not surprising, since at that time there was a lack of knowledge to precisely measure the coastlines. At least the map exhibited in the museum shows some shoals and the rough coastal profiles in the southern Kattegat and the Belts. A nautical chart of the Sound and the Belts from the 1700s shows that a hundred years later people were already much more knowledgeable.

As a model ship, the museum naturally also features the lightship Kalkgrund, which was later renamed the "Flensburg"". The Flensburger Schiffbaugesellschaft delivered the ship in 1910 to the Flensburg Royal Hydraulic Engineering Inspectorate, which posted it on the Outer Fjord. It was not until 1963 that it was replaced by a lighthouse. A 19th-century shipwright's chest, an 18th-century ship's apothecary, a chronometer from around 1840 and much more are worth a visit to the maritime museum, which opened in 1984.

A few steps away from the maritime museum, Flensburg's museum harbour with its gaff-rigged schooners and cutters provides a fitting backdrop to the museum. In autumn at the time of the apple harvest, the old sailors set sail as they used to and "supply" the people of Flensburg with apples, which they take on board in Glücksburg. Nowadays the traditional apple cruise is mainly a popular spectacle around the museum harbour. Every year in May, the historic sailing ships meet for the Rum Regatta. Thanks to the preservation of old building fabric, the milieu along the ship's bridge also fits in with the museum harbour. Ship chandlers and taverns in narrow alleys nearby provide the right atmosphere. These picturesque alleys also include the infamous Oluf Samsons Gang.

In general, Flensburg is one of the most worth seeing cities in Schleswig-Holstein, which is also due to the fact that the city survived the Second World War almost unscathed. Successful renovations in recent times also contribute to a pleasing townscape. Examples of this are the Künstlerhof at Norderstraße 20 to 22 and the Kaufmannshof at Norderstraße 86. The half-timbered courtyard wings of the Künstlerhof are among the oldest in Flensburg. The complex dates back to the middle of the 16th century.

Flensburg's landmark is the Nordertor, built in 1595. It formed the northern boundary of the city until 1795. Above the archway are the Danish royal coat of arms of Christian VII and the town's coat of arms. On it is written a wise insight that already resulted from the crises and wars of the Middle Ages: "Peace nourishes, strife consumes". It is clear to see that the city experienced a further upswing due to the Prussians after a first flourishing around 1600. In large parts of the city, the buildings of the Gründerzeit characterize the picture.

On the tour of Flensburg, the Rummelgang, the Toosbüystraße, the Holm and the Marienstraße should be visited. Marienstrasse was the former Norderkuhgang, along which the citizens' cattle were driven daily to the city fields outside the Marientor. In the Holm, the house number 19/21 is particularly remarkable. This is the oldest preserved trading post from Flensburg's heyday before the Thirty Years' War. From Große Straße 24 you can reach a mighty testimony from the time of Flensburg's trade connections to the West Indies, the large West India Warehouse. The Schrangen, a building with an arcade where the bakers and butchers once had their stalls, leads to the Nordermarkt. On the gable end of the Schrangen, you can still see the holder for the neck iron to which those who spoke ill of their fellow citizens were chained. Nordermarkt and Südermarkt are among the oldest centres of the city, laid out according to plan around 1200. The Neptune Fountain dates from 1758, and a visit to the Red Street above the Südermarkt is recommended. It is dominated by craftsmen's courtyards from the 18th and 19th centuries. Also worth seeing is Kompagniestraße, which is rich in half-timbered houses and ends with the Kompagnietor. It was built in 1602 by the Flensburger Schiffergelag, the professional association of Flensburg's skippers and merchants. The gable bears the city's coat of arms from 1603 and the motto "Gerecht und Metich alltidt sin mit Godes Hülp bringt grodt Gewinn" (To be just and moderate at all times brings great profit with God's help). On the gate building are the high-water marks of storm tides.

The municipal museum at Lutherplatz 1 displays a rich collection on the history of art and culture in the Schleswig region. In addition, the silver treasure from the Nydamer Moor (450 AD) is on display. Also of interest is a sequence of historical farmhouse parlours of Schleswig-Holstein from the 17th and 18th centuries. A separate exhibition room is dedicated to the painter Emil Nolde. The fauna and flora of Schleswig-Holstein is the subject of the Natural Science Museum at Süderhofenden 40/42, which also houses the town library with reading room.

St. Nikolai Church in the south of the pedestrian zone has a Renaissance organ façade considered the best in the north.

Flensburg is a popular shopping town, especially among Danes. The pedestrian zone is successfully integrated into the cityscape.

If you take a trip across the Padborg border into Denmark, it's not far to Fröslevlejrens Museum on the northwestern outskirts of Padborg. The museum is a former World War II internment camp. The main watchtower and one of the prisoners' barracks commemorate imprisonment and the Second World War.

Fridges depart from Flensburg to Kollund, Glücksburg and Gravenstein, among other places.

Marina Information

Max Depth 5 m

Contact

Phone +49 461 50 50450
Email Please enable Javascript to read
Website https://www.fys.de

Surroundings

Electricity

Water

Toilet

Shower

Restaurant

Crane

Internet

Fuel

Grocery

Public Transport

Bikerental

Garbage

Sewage

Comments

21perspectives, Frau Muup
Schöner Hafen, gute Sanitäranlagen.
23.01.2021 18:10
Chvolkmann
15.08.2020 20:02

You can add comments with the NV Charts App (Windows - iOS - Android - Mac OSX).
You can download the current version at nvcharts.com/app.

Places nearby

Related Regions

This location is included in the following regions of the Seame harbour guide: