Marina near Kappeln (Olpenitzdorf)

Last edited 24.06.2022 at 10:56 by NV Charts Team


54° 40’ 24.2” N


10° 1’ 56.6” E


Former shelter harbor and pilot station, today operated as a water hiking site by a promotional association.

NV Cruising Guide


The entry is possible by day and night, but can be complicated by strong, weather-dependent current. This is at times so strong that a tacking through the narrowness of Schleimünde is not possible. In strong easterly winds, unpleasant swell must be expected in the "Schleimünde Seegatt", which may prevent the ship from leaving or entering the harbor. Maximum speed to Kappeln 5.4kn.


In the eastern part of the boat harbor with stern stakes. Keep long stern lines ready! The southern jetty must remain free for authority vehicles. Due to heavy shipping traffic (passenger ships) or in strong easterly winds, mooring in the harbor is at times very choppy.


North of the harbor is a large bird sanctuary, which may not be entered; thus, access to the port is possible only from the water. No garbage can be disposed of in Schleimünde, but sanitary facilities are available and there is a pub, the so-called "Giftbude".

NV Land Guide

Today's entrance to the Schlei was only created in 1842 by Schleswig, Arniss, Kappeln and Maasholmern by an artificial cut of the Olpenitz arm of land. It took the place of the silted up old mouth a few kilometers further north. The harbor master and tugboat pilot Günter Detlefsen had still witnessed how the "old hole" completely silted up: "As late as 1948, I was still paddling through the old Viking passage with my wife," he recalled. Shortly thereafter, the shallow entrance was no longer passable and Schleimünde was no longer an island.

As early as 1650, navigating through the mouth of the Schleim had become a gamble at water levels of 0.5 to 1 meter. The silting intensified around 1420 after fights between Holsteiners and Danes, after the Holstein counts had piles driven into the estuary to block supplies for the Danes in Schleswig. The Danes succeeded in breaking through, but they left many obstacles in the estuary to the detriment of the inhabitants in the Schleige area. Herring fences in the estuary further promoted silting. Merchant ships avoided the entrance more and more, and soon the saying circulated: "Schleswig has now been flushed out because the throat has been tied up. Schleswig however had for a long time no money, in order to create the new passage urgently necessary for economic reasons.

If one goes back still further in the history (see also Schlei/2 Maasholm), it gave still another Schleimündung north of the today's property Oehe. The two mouths of the primeval valley of the Schlei, which no longer exist today, had already formed in the waning ice age. The passage near the Oehe estate also silted up and was later finally closed with a dike.

On both sides of the old Viking entrance, the settlements of Mynnaesbu and Slaesmynnae were located in the 11th and 12th centuries. Mynnaesbu lay to the north and Slaesmynnae to the south of the estuary. Both settlements were probably Viking watch villages that fell into disrepair after the fall of Haithabu (see Haddeby). One livelihood of these villages was the customs duties collected from merchant ships. The Schlei was also a trade route for many goods transported to the North Sea. The goods were often unloaded in Schleswig, transported overland and then shipped to the North Sea via the Treene and Eider rivers. In this way, the often dangerous sea route around Skagen was avoided.

The "Gammelborg", a small Viking fortress, has stood in the south of the old mouth of the river Schleim near Slaesmynnae. That it must have been a kind of fortified church, proves the Maasholm chronicler Horst Franzen. In the municipality chronicle he quotes the pilot Lischke, who wrote: "1802 with low water I have seen east of Gammelborg a Kirghoff discovered, where I found Serge without Däckel and the bones of an ungewölige size ...."

Today's Schleimünde has preserved its island character despite the silted Viking passage, because over land it may be entered only in company of the bird warden over the bird protection area. Except on Mondays, guided tours of the area take place every day at 10 a.m. during the season.

The pilot island of Schleimünde probably passed its toughest test of endurance during the great storm surge of 1872, when the water level rose by 3.34 meters. The tide surprised the lighthouse keeper, who was unable to reach the pilot house after lighting the beacon and had to wait out the storm in the lighthouse. The people in the pilot house saved themselves in the attic. The chronicle of the municipality of Maasholm says: "Surrounded by the storm-lashed sea, which tore off piece by piece from the walls of the pilot house and washed away cattle, movables and all other household equipment, the unfortunate people spent fearful hours from eight o'clock in the morning until one o'clock at night. Miraculously, one of the pilot's horses escaped death. Only in the middle of the surging sea around the house swimming, it had finally settled in the branches of a lilac tree and had driven from there last on the roof of a hay shed, where one had to get it down afterwards"'.

Only one year before the heaviest known Baltic Sea flood the beacon of the lighthouse had been lit for the first time on November 16, 1871. The landmark of the pilot island has been repainted many times since then: The original yellow facade was temporarily dark gray from 1890, then yellow again. From 1920 first red/white  and later black/white cubed. Finally, the cladding with a black / white banded curtain wall took place, which was replaced in 2015 by the now green / white banded version with green lamphouse on top.  Likewise, the technical inner workings of the tower, which is now remotely controlled from Travemünde, has changed quite a bit over time.

Much more than the lighthouse, the pilot house and the poison booth, the Schleimünde shelter harbor does not have to offer the pleasure boater. But it is precisely this simple and original ambience that makes it so appealing. Besides, the pilot island is a place for discovering learning and offers numerous possibilities for collecting primary experiences. The modernized pilot house with seminar rooms and accommodation for 20 people is available all year round. Also the nature-interested comes because of the close bird protection area, which is cared for by the association Jordsand, with the view by the binoculars fully at its expense.

The promotion association naturenear water moving place Schleimünde registered association is owner of the port as well as the adjacent Paddelwiese and operates the plant with much honorary activity and support of its association members. The remaining land area with pilot house and poison booth belongs to the Lighthouse Foundation.

Marina Information

Max Depth 2.1 m


Phone +49 172 7215366
Email Please enable Javascript to read









Joern, Solvej
Mein absoluter Lieblingshafen, das schönste Fleckchen in der Ostsee, auch wenn die Giftbude nur in der Hauptsaison geöffnet ist (schade) immer einen Abstecher wert, ob als Alleinsegler , als Paar, oder mit Kindern, immer traumhaft schön. Der Ostseestrand und Baden dort auch traumhaft, leider muss man den gefährlichen Weg über große Steine ins Wasser
24.06.2022 10:56
Berge, Grote Bim Bam
Mein Gott, nicht mehr Kommentare für den schönsten Ort der westlichen Ostsee? Vielleicht auch gut so. Nur eine Heckleine ausbringen, damit die anderen Boote sich zwischendrängen können. Immer im Päckchen, immer im Fenderkontakt, perfekt für Kinder und Weintrinken mit neuen Freunden!
22.06.2022 23:59
Marten, Lovis
22.05.2022 22:27
Jscheidt, NV Charts
20.11.2020 11:41

You can add comments with the NV Charts App (Windows - iOS - Android - Mac OSX).
You can download the current version at

Buy nv charts covering this place Clicking one of the products will open the nv charts shop.

Places nearby

Related Regions

This location is included in the following regions of the Seame harbour guide: